MICHAEL ANTHONY MILTON
MICHAEL ANTHONY MILTON The James H. Ragsdale Chair of Missions and Evangelism President, D. James Kennedy Institute of Reformed Leadership Erskine College and Seminary
Select Curriculum Vitae
Erskine Theological Seminary 210 South Main Street Due West, SC 29639 Home 1167 Carolina Drive Tryon, NC 28782 980-229-3314 | [email protected] | [email protected] | michaelmilton.org/about | michaelmilton.org/faculty-page
1998, Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Theology and Religious Studies, University of Wales, Lampeter, Wales (Trinity Saint David’s); dissertation: “The Application of the Theology of the Westminster Assembly in the Ministry of the Welsh Puritan, Vavasor Powell (1617-1670);” history, historical theology, historiography, applied theology, The Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies; The Rev. Dr. D. P. Davies, Chairman; First Supervisor, Reverend Professor Canon D.T. William Price, Professor of History, University of Wales (Lampeter), Canon of St. David’s Cathedral; Second Supervisor, The Rev. Dr. Noel Gibbard, Professor of Church History, The Evangelical Theological College of Wales. Dissertation archive, The British Library, London.
1993, Master of Divinity (MDiv), Cum Laude, Knox Theological Seminary, Fort Lauderdale, FL
1977, Diploma (now, AS), The Defense Language Institute, (Albanian) Monterey, CA
1989 Bachelor of Arts (BA), Mid America Nazarene University, Olathe, KS
2010, Graduate Diploma, Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, KS
2020, Post-doctoral Certification, Higher Education Teaching, and Learning. Harvard University, Derek Bok School of Teaching and Learning
2021, DMIN-candidate, Dissertation, “Reimagining Pastoral Education and Training,” R. J. Gore, Professor of Systematic Theology, Doctoral Supervisor, Erskine College and Seminary.
- 1989-present, Teaching Elder (Ordained Minister), Presbyterian Church in America, Tennessee Valley Presbytery
- 2016-2019, Minister-Organizing Pastor, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church
- 1993, Ordained as an Evangelist, Heartland Presbytery, PCA.
- 1989, Licensed to Preach, Heartland Presbytery, PCA; internship, Olathe Presbyterian Church, Olathe, Kansas; Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- Board Certified Pastoral Counselor (BCPC), Association of Certified Christian Chaplains, 2016-no termination date
- Board Certified Chaplain (BCC), Association of Certified Christian Chaplains, 2016-no termination date
- Board Certified Chaplain (BCC), Spiritual Care Association, 2016-no termination date
- Clinical Pastoral Education (BC-CPE), Supervisor, Four units, Institute of Pastoral Training, Orlando, 2016
- Postgraduate program, Higher Education Teaching Certificate, Harvard University, November 2019-2020
- 2015–Present, James H. Ragsdale Chair of Missions and Evangelism, President, D. James Kennedy Institute of Reformed Leadership, Provost (Retired)
2018–2021, Provost, Interim Provost, James H. Ragsdale Chair of Missions and Evangelism, President, D. James Kennedy Institute of Reformed Leadership
2019, Honorably Retired, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church; Pastor Emeritus, Trinity Chapel, Weddington, NC
- 2018, Honorably Retired, The Presbyterian Church in America
- 2018, Retired, United States Army and Army Reserve, Fort Jackson, SC
- 2016, Founding Pastor, Trinity Chapel Presbyterian Church, Weddington, NC;
- 2016, Colonel, U.S. Army Chaplain Corps;
- 2015, James H. Ragsdale Professor of Missions and Evangelism, Erskine College and Theological Seminary;
- 2015 – 2018, Command Chaplain (Colonel), nominative position, U.S. Army Military Intelligence (Readiness Command), Fort Belvoir, VA
- 2014, Retirement, medical, Chancellor, RTS
- 2014 – 2015, Mobilized to active duty as Chaplain (Lieutenant Colonel), designated Subject Matter Expert (SME), Homiletics, Liturgics, Pastoral Care and Counseling, appointed by the Chief of Chaplains and Commandant as Senior Editor of the Chaplain Corps Journal (peer-reviewed); certified by Army Training and Doctrine, Senior Faculty and Senior Writer for the United States Army Chaplain Center and School, Fort Jackson, SC
2013 – Elected by the board of trustees, Coral Ridge Ministries, Inc., Teaching Pastor, Truths that Transforms; Kennedy family announces Milton as President and Senior Fellow of D. James Kennedy Institute of Reformed Leadership
- 2010, Unanimously elected to become Chancellor/CEO of Reformed Theological Seminary on September 2, 2010
- 2007 – 2014, President, Chancellor, and James M. Baird Jr. Chair of Pastoral Theology, Reformed Theological Seminary, Charlotte, NC; May 15, 2008; President (Interim), RTS Orlando: Chancellor of the RTS System (campuses: Atlanta; Charlotte; Houston; Jackson, New York City; Orlando; Washington DC; RTS Global, online teaching and learning)
- 2007 – Appointed by the Executive Committee of Reformed Theological Seminary to The James M. Baird Jr. Chair of Pastoral Theology
- 2003 – Present, President, Faith for Living, Inc. (CEO, 2013 – President, Faith for Living, Inc., a 501c3 North Carolina Nonprofit Corporation)
- 2001-2008 – Senior Pastor, First Presbyterian Church, Chattanooga, TN
- 1998-2001 – Organizing Pastor and Senior Pastor, Kirk O’ the Isles (PCA), Savannah, GA
- 1998-2015 – Adjunct Professor, Erskine College and Seminary
1997-1998, Acting President and Professor of Pastoral Theology, Knox Theological Seminary, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- 1993-1997, Organizing Pastor and Senior Pastor, Redeemer Presbyterian Church, and Founder of Westminster Academy Christian School
- 1993-1995, Visiting Pastor, Reformed Congregational Church, Gorseinon, Wales, UK
1991–2018, Commissioned, Chaplain Candidate (Second Lieutenant);
1992-93, Pastoral Intern and Assistant, Pastoral Care and Counseling, Dr. D. James Kennedy, Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- 1988–1989, Intern, Assistant Pastor (Student Supply) to the Reverend Robert E. Baxter, Olathe Presbyterian Church (now Hope Presbyterian Church), Olathe, Kansas
- 1986–1992, Ruling Elder, preacher, Heartland Presbytery; Chairman, Mission to North America, Mission to the World, Heartland Presbytery
Secular Work Record
- 1985-1993, District Manager, Ashland Chemical Company (continued to work for Ashland Chemical Company through seminary)
- 1978-1985, Executive Sales Representative, Dow Chemical Company
- 1976-1978, Interpreter, (Top Secret) (Albanian), US Navy Security Services, USN
- 1992-Present, Chaplain (Colonel), US Army, US Army Reserve, US Army Retired Reserve
- 1976-1982, Interpreter, US Navy, and Navy Reserve
- 2013, Graduate Certification, Senior Instructor Training, Fort Jackson, SC
- 2012, Graduate Certification, Higher Education and Training School, US Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC)
- 2010, Graduate, Command and General Staff College, Leavenworth, KS
- 2005, Graduate, The US Army Chaplain School, Advanced Course, Fort Jackson, SC
- 1994, Graduate, Chaplain Sustainment Training (“residency”), The United States Disciplinary Barracks, Level 3 Maximum Security, Leavenworth, KS
- 1992, Graduate, The US Army Chaplain School, Basic Course, Fort Monmouth, NJ
- 1977, Graduate, The Defense Language Institute, Albanian, Monterey, CA
- 1977-78, Graduate, The U.S. Air Force School of Cryptological Science, Naval Intelligence, Cryptography, San Angelo, TX
- 1976, Graduate, US Naval Training Command, San Diego, CA
- 2018, Transferred to Retired Reserve, US Army
- 2015-2018, Command Chaplain, US Army Military Intelligence
- Readiness Command, Fort Belvoir, VA
- 2010-2015, Instructor/Writer, US Army Chaplain Center and School, Fort Jackson, SC
- 2009-2010, Deputy Command Chaplain, 108th Training Command, Charlotte, NC
- 2007-2009, Special Projects-Writing, Office of the Chief of Chaplains, The Pentagon, Washington DC
- 2005-2007, Assistant to the Division Chaplain, 81st Division, Birmingham, AL
- 2001-2005, Brigade Chaplain, 4th BDE, 1st BDE, 87th Division, Birmingham, AL
- 1999-2001, Brigade Chaplain, 5th BDE, 4th BDE, 1 BDE, Institutional Training, 108th Regional Support Command
- 1998, Chaplain, Garrison, Ft. Shelby, MS
- 1996-1998, Battalion Chaplain, USAR Center, Lawrence, KS
- 1994-1996, Assistant Chaplain, 103rd Area Support Group, Kansas City, KS
- 1993-1994, Chaplain Sustainment Training, Resident Chaplain, The United States Disciplinary Barracks, Level 3 Maximum Security, Leavenworth, KS
- 1978 – 1982, US Naval Reserve, Washington DC
- 1977 – 1978, Scoll of Applied Cryptological Science, San Angelo, TX
- 1976 – 1977, Defense Language Institute, Presidio of Monterey, CA
- 1976, Naval Training Command, San Diego, CA
- Legion of Merit
- Medal of Meritorious Service, US Army, 2
- Army Commendation Medal, 3
- Army Achievement Medal, 2
- Navy Good Conduct Medal
- Naval Reserve Meritorious Service
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal (M)
- The National Defense Service Medal, 1
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal
- Reserve Component Achievement Medal, 3
- Army Service Ribbon
- Reserves Component Overseas Training Ribbon, 2
- “The Ethics of Preaching.” Preaching Studies (Awaiting Publication). Nashville p: Holman, 2022.
- Public Theology in the Secular Age (Awaiting publication), 2022.
From Flanders Fields to the Moviegoer: Philosophical Foundations for a Transcendent Ethical Framework (Eugene: Wipf & Stock academic), 2019.
- Foundations of a Moral Government: Lex, Rex – A New Annotated Version in Contemporary English (Dallas: Fortress Book Service), 2019.
- The Effects of Recent Social Policy Changes on Select U.S. Army Chaplain Corps Activities and Attitudes (Research paper, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill). GRIN Verlag Academic Publishing. 2018.
- Vocation and Reform in Public Administration: Master of Public Administration thesis, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Germany: GRIN Verlag Academic Publishing), 2018.
- “So, What are You Doing Here?” The Role of the Minister of the Gospel in Hospital Visitation or a Theological Cure for the Crisis in Evangelical Pastoral Care (Germany: GRIN Verlag Academic Publishing), 2018.
- “Millenarianism” in The Jonathan Edwards Encyclopedia (Eerdmans Publishing Company), 2017.
- Called? Pastoral Guidance for the Divine Call to Gospel Ministry (Christian Focus Publications, 2018).
- Lord, I Want to Follow Your Call: A Pastoral Guide to the Ordained Ministry (Bethesda Publishing Group, 2016).
- Vocation and Reform: An Analysis of Five Key Areas of Public Administration (Civitas Press, 2016)
- A Pastoral Theology: Shepherding by the Book (Christian Focus, awaiting publication, June, 201)
- The Secret Life of the Pastor: And Other Intimate Letters on Pastoral Ministry(Christian Focus, April 2015)
- Follow the Call: A Vocational Guide to Ordained Ministry in the Global Church (P&R Publishing, awaiting publication)
- The Journey of a Lifetime (Fortress Book Service, 2013)
- Sounding the Depths: When Jesus Prays for His People in John 17 (EP Books, 2013)
- Finding a Vision for Your Church: Assembly Required (P&R Publishing, 2012)
- Hit by Friendly Fire (Second Edition): When Other Believers Hurt You (Evangelical Press, January 2012)
- Songs in the Night: How God Transforms Your Pain into Praise (P&R Publishing, December 2011)
- What is the Doctrine of Adoption? (P&R Publishing, February 2012)
- Small Things, Big Things: Inspiring Stories in Everyday Grace (P&R Publishing, December 2009).
- What is the Biblical Doctrine of the Perseverance of the Saints (Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing), 2009?
- Hit by Friendly Fire: What to Do When You Are Hurt by Other Believers, Faith for Living Series (Wipf and Stock Publishers), 2008.
- What God Starts, God Completes: Gospel Help for Hurting People (Christian Focus, September 2007 [UK], November 2007 [US])
- Cooperation Without Compromise: Faithful Gospel Witness in a Pluralistic Age (Wipf and Stock, 2007)
- Following Ben: Expository Preaching for Frail Followers of Pulpit Giants (Wipf and Stock, 2006)
- Oh the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus: Expository Messages from John 17 (Wipf and Stock, 2006)
- Giving as an Act of Worship (Wipf and Stock, 2006)
- Authentic Christianity and the Life of Freedom: Expository Messages from Galatians (Wipf and Stock, 2005)
- The Demands of Discipleship: Expository Messages from Daniel (Wipf and Stock, 2004)
- Leaving a Career to Follow a Call: A Vocational Guide to the Ordained Ministry (Wipf and Stock, 2000)
Essays or Chapters in Other Books
- “Millenarianism,” in Encyclopedia of Jonathan Edwards, Harry Stout, Editor (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans), August 2017.
- “Statism, Reagan, and Religious Liberty” in Statism, the Shadows of Another Night (Fortress-Tanglewood, 2015), pp. 59-66.
- “Confession Out of Crisis: Historiography and Hope in the Westminster Assembly of Divines, 1643-52” in Hope Fulfilled: Essays in Honor of O. Palmer Robertson (P&R Publishing, 2008), pp. 347-360.
- Epilogue, “What Manner of Man was the Prophet,” in 50 Days of Prayer for the PCA: May 7-June 25 (Christian Education and Publications, 2009), 132-135.
- Archive of Monographs, preprints, and peer-reviewed articles: https://michaelmiltonphd.academia.edu/research#papers
- From Flanders Fields to the Moviegoer: Philosophical Foundations for a Transcendent Ethical Framework (Eugene: Wipf & Stock academic), 2019.
- Vocation and Reform: An Analysis of Five Key Areas of Public Administration (Civitas Press, 2016).
- “So, What are You Doing Here? A Cure for the Crisis in Pastoral Care in Evangelical Churches” (GRIN Academic Publications), 2018.
Peer Reviewed Journals
- See archive of academic papers at Academia.edu: https://michaelmiltonphd.academia.edu/research#papers
- See Google Scholar page: https://drmilton.live/GoogleScholar
- “The Future of the Armed Forces Chaplaincy in the United States of America”(The Chaplain Corps Journal: The Professional Journal of the U.S. Army Chaplain Corps, Summer 2015), 32-37.
- “John Donne in the Trenches: Moral Leadership and the Chaplain as the Living Repository of Western Civilization” (The Chaplain Corps Journal: The Professional Journal of the U.S. Army Chaplain Corps, Fall, 2014), 17-20.
- “Finding God in Spiritual Depression” (The Army Chaplaincy: The Professional Journal of the Unit Ministry Team, Summer/Fall 2010), 43-54
- “‘So What Are You Doing Here?’ The Role of the Minister of the Gospel in Hospital Visitation and, or a Theological Cure for the Crisis in Evangelical Pastoral Care” (Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, March 2003)
- “The Pastoral Predicament of Vavasor Powell (1617-1670): Eschatological fervor and its relationship to the pastoral ministry” (Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, September 2000)
Popular Journals (Select)
- Christianity.com archives: https://www.christianity.com/author/dr-michael-a-milton/
- Crosswalk.com: https://www.crosswalk.com/author/dr-michael-a-milton/
- Bible Study Tools: https://www.biblestudytools.com/author/dr-michael-a-milton/
- Preaching.com archives: https://www.preaching.com/?s=Michael+Milton
- “The Church: A Place to Belong,” Preaching Magazine, Vol. 17, No. 6, May-June 2002, pp. 45-48.
- “Living Worship,” Preaching Magazine, Vol. 18, No. 6, May-June 2003, pp. 40-43.
- “Finding God in Spiritual Depression,” Preaching Magazine, Vol. 20, No. 1, May-June 2004, pp. 39-42.
- “Faith Conditioning for the Fourth Quarters of Life,” Preaching Magazine, Vol. 20, No. 2, September-October 2004, pp. 58-62.
- “Following Ben: Expository Preaching in the Pastoral Setting,” Preaching Magazine, Vol. 20, No. 4, January-February 2005, pp. 10-12, 49-54.
- “Hit by Friendly Fire: What to Do When Christians Hurt You,” Preaching Magazine, Vol. 21, No. 1, July-August 2005, pp. 36-41.
- “Naaman’s Thanksgiving,” Preaching Magazine, Vol. 21, No. 3, November-December 2005, pp. 48-51.
- “Are We There Yet? The Kingdom Will Come!,” Preaching Magazine, Vol. 21, No. 4, January-February 2006, pp. 34-37.
- “Disciple in a Strange Land,” Preaching Magazine, Vol. 21, No. 6, May-June 2006, pp. 50-55.
- “Four Myths About Submission in the Christian Life,” Preaching Magazine, Vol. 22, No. 1, July-August 2006, pp. 52-56.
- “What’s in It for Me?” Preaching Magazine, Vol. 22, No. 2, September-October 2006, pp. 38-44.
- “Portrait of a Pastor,” Preaching Magazine, January-February, 2009, Volume 24, No. 4.
- “I Shall Not Want: How God Meets our Deepest Needs” Preaching.com
- “The Gospel According To Zacchaeus” Preaching.com
- “Children in the Arms of the Loving God” Preaching.com
- “Is it Communion? The Lord’s Supper? Or the Eucharist? Yes.” Preaching.com
- “Trusting in His Sovereign Grace,” Preaching.com
- “Politics and Religion May Not Mix But Government and Biblical Faith Must!” Preaching.com
- “Longing for Eden” at Preaching.com
- “New Years” at Reformed Perspectives Magazine, January 2008.
- “Engrafted, Not Replaced: How I View True Israel, and Why I Support Ethnic Jews and the State of Israel and Pray for them to be Saved by Jesus Christ and Still Believe in Covenant Theology” at Reformed Perspectives Magazine, Volume 10, Number 10, March 2, 2008.
- “Biblical Preaching in a Pluralistic Culture,” Preaching Journal, March-April, Volume 23, number 5.
- “Remember My Chains: The Life and Death of Alexander Solzhenitsyn,” Preaching.com
- “Storms Blow in that Our Prayers May Go Up,” Preaching.com
- Jackals Among Ruins, Preaching.com
- An Attitude of Thanksgiving, Preaching.com
- “Mary’s Song,” Preaching.com
- “Zechariah’s Song,” Preaching.com
- “Simeon’s Song,” Preaching.com
- No Alternative!, Preaching.com
- Empathy, Netanyahu, Despots and Chimps, Preaching.com.
- Distracted, ByFaith Online.
- Distracted, Preaching.com
- Advent: Zacharias’ Prophetic Song (Luke 1:67-79, Christianity.com
- Christianity.com, numerous articles
- Crosswalk.com, numerous articles
- BibleStudyTools.com, numerous articles
- Preaching.com, numerous articles, sermons
- Numerous sermons and articles in The Christian Observer; news reports and arts and entertainment reviews in World Magazine; editorials published in Overland Park Sun, The Chattanooga Times Free Press; featured in articles about pastoral ministry in Kansas City Star, Overland Park Sun, Savannah Morning News, Chattanooga Times Free Press, Charlotte Observer.
Papers Read for Conferences
- “Evangelism in the Secular Age,” 2021, General Synod, Associate Reformed Presbyterin Church
- “Collapse of the Puritan Middle: Lessons, Faith, and Politics from Seventeenth-Century English Civil and Ecclesiastical Conflict” (The 2018 Winter Meeting of the American Society of Church History, Washington D.C., January 5, 2018).
- “In Jesus’ Name, I Pray:” Exclusivity in Public Prayer and the Restrictive Contours of Civic Pluralism (The 63rd Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, San Francisco, California, November 2011)
- “Justification in Seventeenth-Century English Puritanism”( The 62nd Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, Atlanta, Georgia, November 2010)
- “The Once and Future Calvin” (The Taste of Calvin 500 Conference, Orlando, Florida, June 2009)
- “Preaching from the Footnotes: The Challenge of Textual Criticism in Expository Preaching” (Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, Providence, Rhode Island, November 2008)
- “Cooperation without Compromise: Faithful Gospel Witness in a Pluralistic Age” (Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, Washington DC, November 2006)
- “Historiography and Hope in the Westminster Assembly of Divines, 1643-52” (Westminster Confession of Faith Conference, Chattanooga, Tennessee, 2006)
- “So what are you doing here?” The role of the minister of the gospel in hospital visitation, or a theological cure for the crisis in evangelical pastoral care” (Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, Colorado Springs, CO, November 2001)
- “The Pastoral Predicament of Vavasor Powell and Radical Welsh Puritanism” (Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, Danvers, MA, November 1999)
Online Audio, Print, and Video Sermon Catalogues
- Audible books: https://drmilton.live/songsinthenight-audible
- Erskine Theological Seminary Presents Faith for Living. Dr. Michael A. Milton: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/erskine-theological-seminary-presents-faith-for-living/id1486368700
- Chapel Talk with Mike Milton: https://youtu.be/fEu5QYrdPtI
- Ministry Minute with Dr. Michael A. Milton: Ministry Minute with Mike Milton on Breaker
- Letters to our Students: https://servantsofgrace.org/letters-to-students-midnight-fire-how-your-conversion-fuels-your-ministry/
- Faith for Living with Mike Milton, a multimedia weekly Bible-teaching ministry
- Atlantic Coast Communications, select online audio and video sermons from 1998-present
- Third Millennium Ministries, select sermons from 1998-present
- Sermons, lectures, and music are all distributed on iTunes.
- Preaching.com, a large number of printed sermons are preserved here.
- Sermon Archive (145+ sermons audio and video), (SermonAudio), https://drmilton.live/sermonaudio
- Homiletics I: Preparation of Expository Sermons, 2021-
- Homiletics II: Delivery of Expository Sermons, 2021-
- Pastoral Counseling, Erskine Theological Seminary, 2015-
- The Changing Face of the American Church: Faith in the Secular Age, Erskine Theological Seminary, 2015-
- Vocation and Transformation, Erskine Theological Seminary, 2015
- Basic Preaching, Erskine Theological Seminary, 2015-
- Introduction to Chaplain Ministries, Erskine Theological Seminary, 2015-
- Introduction to Church Planting, Erskine Theological Seminary, 2015-
- Exploring the Missional Church, Erskine Theological Seminary, 2015-
“Vocational Renewal,” Doctor of Ministry, Erskine Theological Seminary, 2015
- “Preaching for Revitalization,” Doctor of Ministry, Reformed Theological Seminary, 2012
- “Introduction to Preaching,” Master of Divinity, Knox Theological Seminary, 1997-98
- “Church Planting,” Doctor of Ministry, Knox Theological Seminary, 1998-2002
- “Church Planting,” Doctor of Ministry, Erskine Theological Seminary, 1999-2000
- “Pastoral Theology: Vocational Holiness in the Pastoral Epistles” Doctor of Ministry, Erskine Theological Seminary, 2000
- “Spiritual Formation,” Master of Divinity, Knox Theological Seminary, 1997-98
- “Reformed Liturgics,” Master of Divinity, Knox Theological Seminary, 1997-98
- “Church Planting,” Reformed Theological Seminary, Monterrey, Mexico Partnership, 2009-
- “Pastoral Ministry,” Reformed Theological Seminary, Charlotte, NC, 2009-
- Renewing Your Passion for Preaching, United States Air Force Chaplain College, Columbia, South Carolina, 2010.
- Don’t Hold Back— Essential Truths for Chaplains Ministering in a Pluralistic Setting, Kochel en se, Bavaria, Germany
- “It’s a Growing Time—Resting in God before Running in Ministry: A Convocation Message” to the Chaplain Career Course, July 18, 2011, Main Post Chapel, Fort Jackson, SC
- Directed Studies and Independent Studies in church history, pastoral theology, ethics, sociology of religion, cultural studies, missiology
- Chair, Ministry Committee, Erskine Theological Seminary, 2017-
- Chair, Master of Divinity in Chaplain Ministries Committee, Erskine Theological Seminary, 2018
- Chairman, Strategic Planning, Erskine Theological Seminary, 2015-2016
- Chair, Doctor of Ministry Restructuring Committee, Reformed Theological Seminary, 2009-2011
- Member, Curricula Revision Task Force, Practical Theology subcommittee, Knox Theological Seminary, 1997-98
- Coordinator, Doctor of Ministry revision task force, Knox Theological Seminary, 1997-98
- Chairman, Strategic Planning, Board of Directors of Knox Theological Seminary, 2006-2008
- Doctor of Ministry task force, Reformed Theological Seminary, 2009-
- Presidential Search Committee, Reformed Theological Seminary, Orlando, 2009-2010
- Examiner for doctoral dissertations, Erskine Theological Seminary, 1998-2000
- Examiner for doctoral dissertations, Knox Theological Seminary, 1998-2008
- Examiner for doctoral dissertations, Australian College of Theology, 2010
Radio and Television
- Faith for Living, 2002-Present
- Truths that Transform, Speaker and Host, 2013-2017
- The Redeeming Factor, Founder and Radio Preacher, 1993-1997, Atlantic Coast Communications, Bott Broadcasting, Overland Park, KS
- The Knox Seminary Radio Hour (later The Jerusalem Chamber), Host and Teacher, WAFG, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 1997-1998
- The Living Word, Founder and Radio Preacher, Atlantic Coast Communications, 1998-2001, Savannah, GA
- The Morning Worship Service of the First Presbyterian Church of Chattanooga (later Faith for Living television), Television pastor, WGOW, 2002-2008
- Faith for Living at First Presbyterian Church of Chattanooga, Founder and Radio Preacher, Atlantic Coast Communications, Various stations and markets, 2002-2008
- The Call with Mike Milton, Founder, and Radio Preacher, Atlantic Coast Communications, Various stations and markets, 2008-(the name was changed and continued as noted below)
- Faith for Living with Mike Milton radio and television ministry, Founder and Speaker, NRB Television nationwide, and in select markets in radio, 2011-
- Truths that Transform, “When You Pray,” 9/2/09
- Appearances on local and national television and radio including, Coral Ridge Ministries television, Truths that Transform radio, Prime Time America on Moody Radio, Money Matters on Moody Radio, and quoted in AP wires, USA Today, Christianity Today, World Magazine, and in editorials including former presidential candidate Patrick Buchanan and the Rev. Dr. Albert Mohler.
- President and Chairman of the Board, Faith for Living, 2007-Present
- Member, Board of Directors, Knox Theological Seminary, 2006-2008
- President-elect, Member, Administrative Committee and Board of Directors, The Presbyterian Church in America, 1998-2003; 2007-
- U.S. Army College of Preachers, 2010-
- Member, Contributing Board, Preaching: A Professional Journal for Preachers, 2005-
- Endowed Chair, Erskine Theological Seminary
- Endowed Chair, Reformed Theological Seminary
“The Annual Award for Excellence in Leadership,” Mid America Nazarene University, 1989
- “Award in Systematic Theology,” Knox Theological Seminary, 1993
- “Award in Preaching,” Knox Theological Seminary, 1993
- Presidential Commendation for Service, President of the United States, 2018
- Order of the Longleaf Pine, Nominative Award by U.S Senate NC Delegation to Office of the Governor, Highest Honors in Public Service to the Citizens of the State of North Carolina, Governor of North Carolina; Honorary Ambassador appointment by the Govenor, 2018
- Commendation for Service, Chief of Staff, US Army, Commendation for Service, 2018
- Letter of Commendation, Chancellor, University of North Carolina System, 2018
- “Who’s Who in America,” Original Marquis Who’s Who, 2007-
- “Who’s Who in the World,” Marquis Who’s Who, 2008-
- Nominee, Alumni of the Year, 75th Anniversary, The Defense Language Institute, Monterey, CA
- The Evangelical Theological Society, 1993-
- The Evangelical Seminary Presidents’ Fellowship, 2008-2013
- The World Reformed Fellowship, 2008-
- The American Association for Church History, 2012-
- The Society for Biblical Literature, 2013-
- The Evangelical Homiletics Society, 2014-
- The John Donne Society, 2014-
- The John Milton Society, 2015-
- The Society of American Church Historians, 2015-
- Lausanne Global Theological Network, board member, 2010-2013
- Member, Sons of the Revolution, General Davidson Chapter, Department of North Carolina, 2016-
- Member, Royal Society of Saint George
- Member, Disabled Veterans of America, 2017-
- Member, Post 77, American Legion, Hendersonville, NC, 2013-
- The Reserve Officer Association, 2004-
- The Military Officer Association, Western North Carolina, 2013-
- Member, The Regimental Chaplain Association, 2012-
- Member, Advisory Board, Boy Scouts of America, Chattanooga, TN, 2002-2008
- Member, Rotary Club, Downtown Chattanooga, TN, 2002-2008
- Board Member, former State Chaplain, Sons of the Revolution, North Carolina, 2018-2019
Available upon request.