I share this for fun and hopefully an enjoyable backyard garden. The items are all available at your local hardware or garden shop. Information on Mill’s Magic follows in the article.
Milton’s “Gardener’s Friend” Soil Mix
(Made for the Piedmont of North Carolina but is a generally good mix for USDA Zones 6-8).
Good for most backyard vegetable and flower gardens.
1. 2 bags: 50 pounds well-rotted cow manure
2. 1 bag: 50 lbs. bag of gypsum
3. 1 bag: 25 lbs. lime
4. 1 bag: 25 lbs. fertilizer (5-10-10).
5. 2 containers of earthworms
6. 1 container of lady bugs
7. Plant marigolds around garden
8. Mix in about two handfuls of “Mill’s Magic” rose food (mushroom compost with organic material [ground fish bone] (use scoop if spreading by hand doesn’t appeal to you). If you can’t find Mill’s Magic at your hardware or gardening store, substitute with a small bag of mushroom compost and two handfuls of egg shell compost.
* Mix in a wheelbarrow. Work into soil.
* Leave some fertilizer and Mill’s Magic to work into soil after all is done.
* Covers a 20 x 30 foot plot.
* Repeat in fall for winter (rains and other natural erosion can destabilize soil)
* Repeat in Spring. Add 1 bag top soil into mix in year two to replenish.
Note: You can purchase Mill’s Magic by online order. Ships around USA. https://www.millsmix.com