I have provided a resource page for our students at the U.S. Army Chaplain Center and School. I share this (a mere collection of the good work of many others) for our civilian students in theological education. My continuing concern is that we help our graduate students (future clergy and scholars) prepare papers with guides to writing content, as well as form, that is measurable. Theological reflection is a key value that must be aquired and practiced. Thus, theological reflection writing is essential to the task of graduate theological education.
- The Writing Center at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/
- Writing in Religious Studies at UNC Chapel Hill: http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/religious-studies/
- MLA and Chicago, Turabian research paper templates at Purdue University: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/
- Style Guide and Templates, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary: http://sbts.libguides.com/style
- Includes Research Papers, Book Reports, and Dissertations for Word and several other new, popular programs
- All in Chicago, Turabian
- Video tutorials for style guides: http://sbts.libguides.com/style/tutorials
- Chicago 16th Edition, Turabian, Word template:
- Citation Builder (MLA 7, Chicago, et al) at North Carolina State University: http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/citationbuilder/cite.php?source=book
- Turabian Citation Builder (Turabian 7, 8; MLA 7, APA 6): www.eTurabian.com
- Bibliography Builder and Manager (free online): EasyBib.com
- Another free bibliography management system, online: zotero.com
- For good instruction on use of Zotero see the Library at the Eugene H. Maly Memorial Library at Athenaeum of Ohio (Roman Catholic):
- On Plagiarism:
- How to Avoid Plagiarism, from the Office of the Provost, Northwestern University:
- “A Brief Guide for Writing Theological Reflection Papers” by Michael A. Milton, CH (LTC) USAR: http://michaelmilton.org/2014/08/13/a-brief-guide-for-writing-theological-reflection-papers/
- “How to Write a Theological Paper” by Dr. John Frame: http://www.proginosko.com/docs/frame_theol_paper.html
- “Becoming a Better Writer” (Westminster Theological Seminary): http://www.wts.edu/resources/westminster_center_for_theolog/become_writerhtml.html
Turabian Citation Guide for Theology and Religious Studies
- Turabian Style Sheet – Quick Guide:
- Use this guide to learn how to cite typical formats, such as books, articles, and more.
- Turabian for the Bible:
- Turabian for Commentaries:
- Turabian Style for Liturgical Texts:
- Turabian Style for Catechisms:
- Turabian for Websites:
- Turabian for Blogs:
- Turabian for Social Media:
- Turabian for Audio-Visuals:
The U.S. Army Chaplain Center and School uses Turabian 8th Edition Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations. This is essentially the same as Chicago Manual of Style with Turabian’s modified format for research papers (including sermon manuscripts).
Turabian Online Resources
- This website will use your inputted title or resource information to generate a Turabian style citation.
Content from this page was adapted from many other sources, including: St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Seminary at the Athenaeum of Ohio, Duke Divinity School, University of Chicago Press, Northwestern University, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Cleveland State University, Westminster Theological Seminary, and others cited within the links. If further citations are needed please contact us. We are eager to providce such acknowledgment.
The Chicago Manual of Style. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 2003.
“Duke Divinity School.” The Center for Theological Writing. Accessed December 17, 2014. http://divinity.duke.edu/initiatives-centers/center-theological-writing?nopaging=1.
Jensen, David H. “Writing Theology Well: Rhetoric for Theological and Biblical Writers–By Lucretia B. Yaghjian.” Religious Studies Review 33.2 (2007): 124-124.
“The Online Writing Lab at Purdue (OWL).” Accessed December 14, 2014. https://owl.english.purdue.edu/.
“Research – Citation Help: Turabian Style.” Athenaeum. December 16, 2014. Accessed December 17, 2014. http://athenaeum.libguides.com/c.php?g=30824&p=193170.
Turabian, Kate L. Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, Eighth Edition: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers. University of Chicago Press, 2013.
Westminster Theological Seminary: Center for Theological Writing. Accessed December 17, 2014. http://www.wts.edu/resources/westminster_center_for_theolog.html.
“The Writing Center.” The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Accessed December 17, 2014. http://writingcenter.unc.edu/.